The Curmudgeon

YOU'LL COME FOR THE CURSES. YOU'LL STAY FOR THE MUDGEONRY.

Monday, March 19, 2007

I'm A Four-Per-Center

I hate telephones, and I despise the mobile variety. Mobile telephones are like children: the noise, antisocial behaviour and general unpleasantness caused by other people's is more than enough to convince me that I am better off without any of my own. Happily, thanks to the Guardian's intrepid research, it now turns out that this is "nothing to do with being very old, very young or very hard up, but a lifestyle choice" shared by a dizzying four per cent of those adults who, like me, are aged between twenty-five and forty-four. This elite "are badly out of step with a social etiquette that has been transformed by the new technology", but this is by no means the only advantage. "A study of US mobile users by Baltimore firm Context found that people tended to avoid contact with peers who didn't have them." If only mobile telephone users in the UK could be so scrupulous about the company they keep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home