The Curmudgeon

YOU'LL COME FOR THE CURSES. YOU'LL STAY FOR THE MUDGEONRY.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Propaganda Wars

Buck Theorem has posted a thoughtful and very generous review of my excursion into alternate-world film criticism, I, Mengele, and points out at least one resonance that I hadn't noticed myself.

The fact that Mr Theorem seems to be cranking up the bloggery again after several quiet months is good news for all fans of the filmic fantastic. His observations on horror, science fiction and fantasy movies (often, but by no means always, of the cheap and cheerful variety) have provided me with considerable viewing pleasure that I might otherwise have missed, as well as recalling one or two creaky but still effective spooks from the past. He also has some very talented friends; and, as with the Numinous Book of Review, his archives are well worth a trawl.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 pm , Blogger Buck Theorem said...

    Thank you, Philip! I have been recommending "I, Mengele" to several friends too. It's a great piece.

     
  • At 5:38 pm , Blogger Philip said...

    If you haven't already, you might care to try Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream, which takes the same conceit (presenting itself as an artifact of, rather than just a story about, an alternate reality), twists it back on itself (a story that re-writes World War II from a reality where World War II didn't happen) and uses it to beat the daylights out of the heroic fantasy genre.

     
  • At 3:43 pm , Blogger Buck Theorem said...

    Oh, I shall try that. Sounds great.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home