The Curmudgeon

YOU'LL COME FOR THE CURSES. YOU'LL STAY FOR THE MUDGEONRY.

Monday, June 27, 2016

A Changed Situation

For far too long, I used to say,
Too tolerant we've grown:
Those cunning darkies who obey
Our laws, we leave alone.

This wasn't quite the thing, I thought:
Our love must be more tough.
We must Prevent, Arrest, Deport,
And all that other stuff.

I blathered, less than two months past,
Of scary Muslims who
Might nurse some fiendish plans to blast
A London bus or two.

It brought me votes, it brought me praise,
And I enjoyed eftsoons
Approving belches, barks and brays
From my back-bench baboons.

But, now it's fashionably late,
I find it plain to see:
We must condemn this awful hate,
For it's no use to me.

Davey FitzAnthony

2 Comments:

  • At 9:02 pm , Anonymous The Judge said...

    There's always something to learn. I have to confess that in my 54 years I had never come across the word 'eftsoons' before. Thank you.

     
  • At 9:13 pm , Blogger Philip said...

    I'm not sure where I've come across it before, to be honest. I see that it appears in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, to which I was exposed at an impressionable age; but I'm sure it's turned up in other places too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home